15 Common Sleep Beliefs: Fact or Fiction?
- The older you get, the more sleep you need.
FALSE: From age 21 to old age 8 hours, more or less is needed.
- The main reason teens are sleepy is the brain produces melatonin later than other age groups.
TRUE: The biologic clocks in teens are usually delayed and Melatonin is produced later at night so they dont get as sleepy until later.
- Melatonin is the hormone of darkness.
TRUE: The brain produces it and releases it at night, when in the dark. It is low in the early morning light.
- About 40% of people who are very overweight have sleep apnea, even if they don’t know it.
TRUE: For example, there are 8 million truck drivers in the USA. 30-40%, at least, are significantly overweight. and 40-50 % of them have sleep apnea….almost 2 million!!! and many are sleepy…
- If teens are not getting enough sleep,the rates of depression, sleepiness, and motor vehicle accidents goes up and grades go down.
TRUE: Studies have shown this.
- Restless legs can be easily treated most of the time with either Iron, Melatonin or prescription medications.
TRUE: Iron deficiency is a cause. Recently it was shown that Melatonin helps decrease restless leg syndrome.
- Children from age 3 to 9 can have significant apnea if their tonsils are big.
TRUE: This is the main cause of pediatric apnea
- CPAP is the only way to treat sleep apnea.
FALSE: There are several other ways.
- CPAP is the best way to treat severe sleep apnea
TRUE: Very effective.
- Sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure, diabetes and weight gain
TRUE: Also heart attack and stroke.
- Sleep apnea and AFIB are often found together in the same patient.
TRUE: Apnea can make it worse.
- Behavior problems in children don’t cause sleep problems
FALSE: They often do.
- Children with Autism Spectrum disorder occasional have sleep problems.
FALSE: It is 40-80%
- Children with ADHD are so active in the daytime that they sleep well at night.
FALSE: Often they have difficulty settling down and falling asleep.
- Autism, Narcolepsy, Seizures, Insomnia, Restless legs and Obstructive Sleep Apnea are all brain/neurologic problems.
FALSE: All are except sleep apnea which has other causes.